Saturday, September 19, 2009

What can brown do for you?



Last week, I placed an order with Drugstore.com to replenish a few items for the house. I arrange to send most of my online purchases to the office, as I'm not home at the time UPS delivers. I must not have paid attention when I entered the shipping info, as I got this notification from UPS yesterday when I came home from work.

For those times UPS is the carrier and I have to use my home address for delivery (prescription mail orders), I go online immediately after getting the first notice to change the shipping address. This was the first notification ever requiring a fee. While the fee wasn't expensive ($4 for a 4 pound shipment), it still was a charge, probably because of rising fuel costs, thinner profit margins and stiff competition with FedEx and USPS.

This is another reason why I choose USPS over UPS to do personal shipping. It's ridiculously cheaper. For me to send a 2 lbs. package UPS 2nd day air from San Francisco to Columbus would cost almost $26. USPS would charge me for 2nd day air for a large box, $13.50. Only $4.80 for a small box.

So until UPS shows me lower shipping rates, brown's doing nothing for me.

No comments: