Tuesday, April 24, 2012

A League of Ordinary Gentlemen - deleted scene


Not to be confused with the 2003 film "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" starring Sean Connery, the 2006 PBS Independent Lens documentary "A League of Ordinary Gentlemen" discusses the decline of pro bowling's popularity and follows the lives of 4 prominent professional bowlers: Chris Barnes, Pete Weber, Wayne Webb and Walter Ray Williams Jr.

I first found out about this film almost 3 years ago from an old friend who has followed bowling a lot longer than I have. The video I've included in this posting is a deleted scene from the documentary.  Even if you don't follow bowling, the documentary goes beyond bowling and explores the sacrifices, struggles and lack of glamour to be a road warrior on tour.

If you like what you see and want more, go to YouTube and check out the entire documentary (shown in multiple segments) and other deleted scenes.

1 comment:

Steve said...

I'm glad you mentioned this film in your blog, Lani. I need to do the same in mine. I bought it several years ago and have watched it many times.

It is a wonderful film about a sport that has garnered so little respect for the longest time that when it surfaces in film or on television, it's usually in the form of clownish stereotypes and otherwise ridiculous parody instead of as the kind of serious, revealing, and compelling treatment this remarkable film provides.

More people need to see it. I think it would appeal not only to those who are already bowling fans, but it might also help to make more people fans of the sport.

On a side note, I'm happy to see the great Wayne Webb doing so much better these days than he was in the film. He used to own a pro shop here in Sacramento that I frequented, and, even though he was still involved in the sport, he seemed just as dour in talking about it with me as he was in the film.

But now he is the proud proprietor of a bowling center in Columbus, Ohio (which is where I understand that you hail from)and one of the most successful bowlers on the PBA Senior Tour. You can just see in his demeanor on live-streamed tournaments and discern from his interviews that he's loving bowling and life again, and that makes me very happy for him.

Thanks again for your blogpost, Lani.