Sunday, September 16, 2012

Female Action Stars


I'm watching on FX now "Salt", starring Angelina Jolie and Liev Schreiber. If you've ever seen the movie or at least the trailer, Ms. Jolie does a lot of what Jason Statham does - run, jump, shoot, and fight the bad guys. She also did the same in her roles in "Mr. and Mrs. Smith" and "Lara Croft: Tomb Raider".

To see Ms. Jolie in "Salt" reminds me of an article that came out at the time "Expendables 2" was released last month and posed the question, "Who would we choose for a women's version of The Expendibles?"

I decided to do some purely unscientific research. From Google, I entered "female action stars". There were numerous articles from the Washington Post, New York Daily News, Parade and Starpulse. I entered the names from 6 different sources on a spreadsheet. Then I sorted and counted the names.

Here are the names that appeared at least 2 times:

  1. Angelina Jolie and Uma Thurman, 6 times.
  2. Sigourney Weaver and Milla Jovovich, 5 times.
  3. Carrie-Anne Moss and Kate Beckinsale, 4 times.
  4. Lucy Lawless, Linda Hamilton and Michelle Yeoh, 3 times
  5. Lucy Liu, Michelle Rodriguez, Jennifer Garner, Jessica Alba, Halle Berry, Pam Grier and Sarah Michelle Gellar, 2 times.
Again, the emphasis is that these findings are unscientific. I'm sure many of you can think of others not included on this list. For me: Ashley Judd, Maggie Q, Katee Sackoff, and Stana Katic come to mind. 

Which reminds me. I need to put "Haywire", starring Gina Carano, in my Netflix queue. Regardless of the women that are or aren't on this list, the best part is that action star roles aren't just for men anymore. Boys drool, chicks rule.

No comments: