Sunday, August 20, 2017

Run Flat Tires No More

source: TireRack.com
Pirelli Cinturato P7 Run Flat Tire
My right rear tire went flat yesterday.

When I had my 2004 325i, all I had to do was call AAA, a technician would arrive within 30 to 60 minutes, remove my flat tire and replace it with my full tire spare in the trunk.

Not so with my current 2012 BMW 328i. The OEM tires are run flats with no spare.

One of the arguments for run flats: a full tire spare adds to the car's weight and ultimately the performance.

I drove my 2004 325i for 12 years. I never noticed the lack of performance with the full tire spare. Then again, I don't drive like Dom Toretto.

The best reason for run flats is that when the tire goes flat, you can still drive on them for up to 50 miles at 50 mph to the nearest place to get the tire situation addressed.

So what.

Dealerships and tire centers won't repair run flat tires because the integrity of the structure cannot be guaranteed. They advise you replace the tire. Based on most of the BMW car talk forums I've read, you can repair run flat tires, but you're on your own.

Many have also commented that run flats drive rough, wear out sooner, are harder to find and more expensive to replace. They end up replacing with standard (non-run flats) tires. Which is what I've decided to do.

As my 328i now has over 52,000 miles on it, the tires on my car were due to be replaced anyway. I ordered 4 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ from Costco this morning. I'll also order a tire repair kit or 2 to keep in the car as a 'spare'. If I replace with the same Pirellis I have now, I have to spend at least $100 more than the Michelins, and pay 3 to 5 days for a rental car.

Hopefully, the Michelins will be in tomorrow and my out-of-pocket costs for the rental won't be more than 2 days. I'm already out almost a grand for the tires. It's an expense some aren't willing to make. I am.

No comments: