Sunday, June 03, 2018

Goodbye Chase VISA - Member Since 1983

Fool me once, shame on you.
Fool me twice, shame on me.
Fool me thrice, goodbye.

I've been a Chase VISA cardholder since 1983.

With a sizable balance.

This was a result of taxes owed and important big ticket purchases compounded by unemployment (June 2010 to January 2014).

Yes, I'm paying more than the minimum amount due when the bill comes. Yes, the cost of living in San Francisco doesn't help. Yes, I should be on a tighter budget. So don't tell me what I already know.

But I've NEVER BEEN LATE on payments. It's my guess the interest I've paid to Chase over 30+ years is a few thousand dollars.

Thinking my 35 years with Chase should count for something, I call Cardmember Services a few years ago to request my APR to be waived or reduced. Perhaps for a few months, maybe a year. Chase tells me no.

Yet they send me promotions via email, snail mail and online with fat offers to transfer a balance to my account interest free for a limited period. The latest, an upgrade to Chase VISA Preferred and offer to transfer a balance. With no tiny font disclaimer of ineligibility for existing Chase cardholders, I eagerly apply and am immediately approved for the card.

A week later, I receive 2 letters from Chase. One letter contains the new VISA card. The other, a letter refusing to honor my request to transfer the balance. Why? Because it's another Chase account. They'd make no profit from a 15-month 0% interest fee card.

Therefore, I'm calling it quits. Two weeks ago, I opened a VISA account with my credit union. I apply on a Friday. I'm approved on the following Monday. I've been a member there since 1992. Later that week, that same credit union completes the balance transfer to my new VISA for most of what I owe on the Chase account. With no annual fee and 0% APR for 14 months.

It's clear to me who wants my business. It isn't Chase. Goodbye and good riddance. It wasn't all that nice knowing you.

No comments: