Sunday, December 30, 2018

2018 Sports Stories of the Year

source: E:60's ESPN
L: Deland McCullough, R: Sherman Smith

source: Washington Post
L: Lin Wang, Charles Barkley
If you know me, or follow this blog regularly, a BIG part of my life is sports. I don't follow NCAA Division I College and MLB, NBA and NFL as closely as I did as a kid. These days, it's the sports history stories with gripping, memorable programs such as ESPN's SC Featured, E:60 and 30 For 30.

Here are my top sports stories of 2018:
Lin Wang and Charles Barkley
My Twitter feed was blown up about a story from NPR's It's Only A Game. People like Soledad O'Brien and Seth Meyers tweeted at how much they sobbed reading Shirley Wang's essay about her father Lin and his friendship with former NBA standout/current TNT basketball analyst Charles Barkley.

I've read the print story at least 3 times, but it was Shirley's voice in the podcast that had me bawling for hours.
Click here to read or hear the podcast.

Deland McCullough and Sherman Smith
Their story has become one of my favorite sports stories ever. Deland is currently the running backs coach for the Kansas City Chiefs. Sherman is a retired running backs coach for the Seattle Seahawks. Deland and Sherman first met when Sherman recruited Deland in high school to play football for Miami (Ohio) University.

Here's the YouTube video:


Wishing everyone a safe, warm and wonderful 2019.

No comments: