Sunday, September 08, 2019

Goodbye KFOG

source: San Jose Mercury News
At midnight, Friday, September 6, longtime San Francisco's FM station, KFOG, went off the air. It is now a simulcast with AM 680 KNBR Sports Radio.

I was a faithful 10+ year listener of KFOG's Morning Show featuring Dave Morey, Peter Finch, Irish Greg McQuaid and Renee Richards. It was clear how much they liked each other. Over the years, I knew their spouses/significant other's names and enjoyed hearing what they did in their free time off the air. Real conversation with real people playing a combination of classic rock and adult alternative music. In the afternoons and evenings I'd hear John Grappone, Rosalie Howarth, Bonnie Simmons and Big Rick Stewart. Last but not least, let's not forget another favorite, "you wonderful human being" Annalisa.

I loved 10@10, Peter Finch's Fogfiles, the live air appearances from music artists such as The Tragically Hip, Luce, Jake Shimabukuro, Toad the Wet Sprocket and so many more. My friend and former Sharper Image colleague Roger Bensinger once made an on-air appearance promoting some of the high-tech gadgets we were once known to sell.

Not long after Dave Morey announced his retirement, my listening days with the station came to end. What was previously an easy conversation between on-air personalities now sounded hollow and forced. So it came as no surprise to me that the station's days were numbered.

These days, it's a combination of NPR via KQED and downloaded music from my 10 year old CD's and phone app. I find most local music stations these days beyond annoying.

No comments: