Saturday, February 11, 2006

Back to the gym


Today was my first trip to the gym in almost 2 weeks. I was fully prepared to take it easy because of my bad cough. I did a lot better than I thought. I did 30 minutes on the treadmill, 10 on the rowing machine and 20 on the elliptical. After the treadmill, I had to fight through a bout of coughing. But this is normal for me in my recovery process.

Once I’m done with the workout, I spend about 5-10 minutes stretching and cooling down. I head to the locker room, and if I’m brave, I’ll weigh myself. I lost about 4 pounds since my last weigh-in. Ultimately, I want to lose a total of 20 pounds. But not torture myself to get there.

I usually go to the gym 4 times a week. I’m one of the few who actually enjoys going. The reasons why many hate the gym are exactly the reasons why I like it so much. I’m in a controlling environment and don’t have to worry about my allergies. I don’t have to worry about rain, heat, wind, uneven terrain, and pedestrians who walk too slowly.

I was never a size 6 and 115 pounds like my sister Cindy is. I love food far too much. One recent modification I have done is to incorporate more salads into my meals. I don’t feel I’m sacrificing much because salads were something I liked anyway.

Updates to follow.

photo courtesy of low-backpain.com

No comments: