Saturday, March 11, 2006

Sharper Image woes

Yesterday going into to work, part of my daily ritual is to read e-mail briefs issued by the National Retail Federation (NRF). The first article featured was the headline about my former employer, The Sharper Image. It’s quite big news as it was featured in the New York Times and the San Francisco Chronicle.

In the likely event you know nothing about the article, a major shareholder of Sharper, Knightspointe Group, wants to oust the company’s current board of directors. Understandable, considering Sharper has lost $22 million this current fiscal year.

While it has been almost 12 years since I last worked at Sharper, I’m surprised this didn’t happen sooner. During my time there, something like this would have only helped. Even though I was woefully underpaid, the experience I gained there wouldn’t have gotten me to my other retail positions, where I am paid a decent salary.

I won’t say too much more. Josh and I know a lot of good people who still work there. If the proposed move does indeed happen, then they’re going to see many of the changes I’m currently seeing with ownership change at my job.

Good luck.

No comments: