Friday, October 13, 2006

Hotei



We hadn't seen the Tretakoffs in a few weeks and thought it was long overdue to get together for dinner at our favorite neighborhood spot, Hotei.

This morning Amy called and asked if we would like to join them at Hotei tonight rather than tomorrow. I thought she had called because Josh told her to in response to my e-mail. Turns out Amy didn't know I e-mailed Josh. All of us had Hotei on the brain. We waited about 20 minutes for a table, and gobbled everything (shrimp tempura, chicken kara-age, miso, etc.) in sight.

Before I began writing this entry, I looked up "Hotei" on Google. Here's what the website says:

Hotei is a deity of prosperity and happiness. Tradition identifies him with the eccentric Chinese priest Pu-tai. Hotei is usually depicted laughing and with a huge belly (symbolizing his benevolent nature) and carrying -- or sitting beside -- a huge bag filled with riches.

Couldn't say it any better. I'd rather stuff my face.
----
image courtesy of buddhamuseum.com

No comments: