Friday, November 17, 2006

Ohio State vs. Michigan


As many of us have already heard, former University of Michigan football coach Bo Schembechler passed away today. Schembechler suffered a fatal heart attack while taping his weekly show, on the eve of college football's fiercest rivalry, Ohio State versus Michigan.

It holds special importance to me because I was born and raised in Columbus, and still bleed Scarlet and Gray. When I applied to college, I considered smaller schools within the state, but my heart and head knew there was no other choice other than Ohio State. While I was a student, I was extremely fortunate to be a season ticket holder. The games were like nothing else I've experienced.

Both schools became the perennial powerhouses they are now because of Schembechler and his former mentor, Woody Hayes. Without the legacy of Hayes and Schembechler, there is no Ohio State-Michigan rivalry. Period.

This year the stakes are huge. Ohio State is top ranked, and Michigan is ranked second. Both schools are undefeated and have dominated their opponents all season. It is considered unofficially the National Championship game. Tomorrow's winner will likely go on to the actual National Championship game in January.

As much as I am saddened by Bo's passing, I want the Buckeyes to whip some Wolverine ass. GO BUCKS!
---
image courtesy of The Ohio State University

No comments: