Tuesday, August 07, 2007

defining chocolate


An article in today's Associated Press (photo courtesy from them too) about whether or not the FDA will allow changes in the ingredients that define chocolate. In its purest form, chocolate must contain between 50 to 60 percent cocoa butter.

The Grocery and Chocolate Manufacturers Association and several other food industry groups want to see those standards changed. By doing this, it would allow some flexibility in using different techniques and standards on the way chocolate is made. The argument about relaxing the standard is that it would cut costs in manufacturing and the savings can be passed to the consumer.

As far as I'm concerned, leave this alone!!! I know I'm not the only one who has a strong emotional attachment to this luscious, creamy treat. By allowing to define chocolate with other ingredients, namely vegetable oil, I'm not likely to go anywhere near it. Legally, it can't be called chocolate either.

There's a reason why premium chocolates like Scharffen Berger, Joseph Schmidt, and Godiva have such a cult following. There's true artistry in the way their chocolate is made.

I don't care. My fingers are in my ears now and I'm doing my best Sergeant Schultz imitation, "I see nothing. I hear nothing".

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, no. That's wrong. Chocolate has a high value for its natural ingredients, like cheese, wine. To use the stuff like vegetable oil there're a lot of chocolate bars and other food of cheap taste.