Saturday, February 16, 2008

Nasal spray vs. Neti pot

If you've been following me this week on Twitter, I just began using the neti pot to treat my chronic sinus problems. My original intent was to switch to Nasonex, but remembered an unsuccessful attempt to switch to Flonaise about 10 years ago. I then decided this would be a good time try out the neti pot. Perhaps this could wean me off nasal sprays completely.

It's been 4 days since I stopped using Rhinocort and started administering jala neti (nasal irrigation). The last time I was without Rhinocort was during a conference in Fort Worth, TX in 2003 and my sinuses were miserable. The use of the neti pot so far has been quite effective. While I'm blowing my nose a bit more than usual, I've been able to breathe through both nostrils REGULARLY and not sneeze as much.

So far, I have yet to hear any negative results of using the neti pot. I've had relief from watery, itchy eyes by using contact lens saline solution as a rinse, so it made perfect sense to try the same process for my nose. After all, sneezing and watery eyes are the body's reactions to rid itself of pollen and other allergens. The neti pot only speeds up the process to prevent the uncomfortable reaction.

I'm hopeful continued use of the neti pot will further reduce sneezing and nose blowing to a bare minimum. Benefits for the body and wallet. Rhinocort was $50/prescription at my previous employer and is $35/prescription at my current one. I've since ordered a second neti pot (non-breakable) that I'll be able to take with me when I travel. I'm still taking oral antihistimines. That might be something I'll still have to continue using. Updates to follow.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

“I think I have found relief…”

I have suffered from allergies and asthma for 40 years. I have tried allergy shots and just about every prescription and non-prescription option available on the market past and present. My doctor recommended that I try a nasal spray called Sinol. In my opinion Sinol has proven to be the most effective remedy I have ever used. I was particularly impressed at how it worked during peak ragweed season. I recently enjoyed the best August and September season I can remember thanks to your product. I have also saved a lot of money by not having to refill my costly prescriptions that just did not work for me. I have been so satisfied with your product I have recommended it to friends and family and they have experienced very positive results as well. I recommend this product to anyone that suffers from allergies."

Anonymous said...

Thnak you for this post. Last week I took my daughter to a park where we had planned to have lunch and hang out. Both of us began sneezing and having horrible runny noses. That night I saw this post and bought the Sinol Nasal Spray. The relief was very fast and I have been using it regularly, 5-7 times a day. What a great product.
Cherly

Anonymous said...

I have used a neti pot for years and it helps. Now I use a product called sinus genie with the neti pot and it helps even more.

Anonymous said...

I am generally not a big user of all natural products. My sister told me to use Sinol nasal spray after hearing me complain for days about my running nose, puffy eyes and irritated nose. Wow, is the first adjective that comes to mind. What a great product. Irritation and puffy eyes are gone very quickly and it fits perfectly in my purse, the neti pot did not.

Anonymous said...

I use Sinus Buster. Found it on the web years ago and it is a god send for my allergies and especially congestion. Plus it is easier to find than Sinol I can pop into Walgreens, Rite Aid - almost any drugstore has it. Great product.