Sunday, June 22, 2008

In the heat of the night



This past week we had the third heat wave in San Francisco in a little over a month. For me, this was the worst because it lasted almost 3 days. Hot days are usually, at most, 1 to 2 days.

Thursday night (6/19) I showered at the gym and again after I got home. It turned out not to be a good idea as it left my skin primed for ravenous mosquitoes. As it was last month, I ended up with at least a dozen bites on my arms and ankles. I slept probably all of 3 hours that night.

Friday night (6/20), was even worse. Evening breeze was non-existent. At 9:30 p.m., it was still 81 degrees outside. I was still sweating and decided to head to Crepevine to pick up a salad for a late dinner. I didn't eat the salad until at least 10 p.m. Because of Thursday's mosquito rampage, I decided not to shower. I wiped myself down with a cold towel and then sprayed insect repellent to ward off any further damage from the mosquitoes.

Yesterday morning (6/21), I pulled up all but one of the blinds in the living and dining rooms to keep out the sun. The only window blind left open was to accomodate a screen for ventilation. It was also my lookout for any incoming ocean breezes. I must have looked out every half-hour to see if fog was on the distant horizon. The ocean breezes started to pickup at about 11 a.m. Relief was in sight.

This morning, my old buddy Mr. Fog returned. Turned off the fans and closed the windows. My standard lounge attire of sweats, long sleeves and slippers cheerfully worn again. Che and Jawa no longer splayed across the rug.

Back to a typical summer day in San Francisco!

No comments: