Even in San Rafael, the largest town in Marin county, has major temperature ranges. Whenever we head to the Tretakoffs, it can 5 to 8 degrees warmer from where we exit (Central San Rafael) compared to when we reach their house (near McNear's Beach).
Today's commute home (temperature readings from my car's thermometer):
- Leave the office in San Mateo (near Hillsdale Blvd.) at 5:05 p.m. Car thermometer reading: 83 degrees.
- Head north on Highway 101 (not "the 101". We are NOT in L.A.). Temperature at 3rd Street Exit: 85 degrees.
- Another 3 miles north, now in Burlingame. Temperature: 80 degrees.
- Two miles more, in Millbrae: 77 degrees.
- Now at the San Francisco International Airport exit. Temperature is now 72 degrees.
- Now on Highway 380 heading to 280 in San Bruno: 67 degrees.
- Drive about 8 miles until I reach the 19th Avenue/Highway 1 exit: 63 degrees.
Many times once I reach 380, the fog kicks in full force. The sun disappears and the cold air is blowing strongly. I like my fog. Today it cooled off, but no fog.