Thursday, July 31, 2008

Bag Hag


Tonight I ordered 2 bags online. My first stop is always eBags. I've been a customer of theirs for at least 10 years. I've been using exclusively the carry-on suitcase I bought from them at least 7 years ago for only $40 and like the Energizer bunny, it's still going strong.

This order from eBags is a bit different from my previous purchases. I noticed on the website a link at the bottom of the page for AAA members. It brought me to AAA's website and entered my zip code as requested. I was then brought back to eBags's site under the AAA/eTravel store link powered by eBags. The best part is that as an AAA member, I'm eligible for a 20% discount and free shipping for orders $75 and over. Way cool.

The Baggallini nylon bag pictured is one of the 2 items I ordered tonight. I got it at 20% off. but the second item, my Victorinox Lund (a mini-backpack to replace my faded Eagle Creek) was not. The total was just under $83, so I qualified for free shipping.

I ordered the nylon bag for my upcoming cruise with the family in October. Since this trip will last a bit more than a week, I'll need more clothing than my carry-on will fit. I've been flying for the past 3 years without checking in luggage and I'm not about to start now, especially since many airlines now charge for it. The bag folds into a pouch and plan to take with me in my carry-on. I will ship the rest of my clothing to Sherman before I fly out and pack them in the nylon bag once I'm in New York.

As for the new mini-backpack, I've been eyeing one for the past 6 months. My 10+ year old Eagle Creek is quite faded and lacks the compartments the newer mini-backpacks now have. I really liked The North Face's Pandora. It comes in a bunch of awesome colors, but it doesn't have what I liked about my Eagle Creek, an external water bottle holder. The Victorinox Lund has one, and all of the other requirements I wanted: padded shoulder straps, color, 2 storage sections and most importantly, it's small.

While the trip is still over 2 months away, it is never too early to plan ahead. Especially the way air travel is these days. I'll do whatever I can to minimize my time as cattle prod.

No comments: