Tuesday, December 08, 2009

1980 Toyota Celica GT Liftback


While the picture is a bit to hard to see, my commute this morning on Highway 101 South from San Francisco to San Mateo had me behind for a few miles a white Toyota Celica GT Liftback, circa 1980. For a nearly 30 year old car, it had the typical rust and dents, but from an engine standpoint, it was in decent condition. I couldn't hear loud muffler noises, saw no jerky acceleration, or any blue smoke emitting from its exhaust. My Celica's color was a burnt metallic red.

The car will always hold a special place in my heart because it was the first car I made payments on. Dad actually bought the car (December 1979) and put the loan in his name. I'd pay Mom in cash the monthly car payments. She'd write the check and mail the check and voucher to the bank. It was the car I drove out with Sherman and buddy Stan to San Francisco in August, 1983.

I owned the car until April 1988, when I traded in the Celica for a 1988 Acura Integra LS, a car with its own historical significance (see October 17 blog posting).

No comments: