Thursday, March 01, 2012

Say it ain't so...que Serra Serra

Serra Bowl to close its lanes April 15th | SF Arts



I found out 3 days ago from 2 bowling friends. I currently bowl league there on Thursdays, and yes, my league season will be cut short. As was the case when Mel's/Redwood and Palo Alto Lanes closed, the land in the area is in high demand. Money talks. Classic, Sea and Brentwood Bowls will be the remaining alleys open in San Mateo county.

In San Francisco, there are 3 bowling centers: Lucky Strikes, which will open this month, Presidio Bowl, and Yerba Buena. Once Serra closes, Classic Bowl will be the only center in San Francisco and San Mateo counties with more than 40 lanes. Serra has 44.  For me, large bowling centers like Serra and Classic are ideal for league play and practice.  

That's a lot to lose. Especially for serious bowlers like me. I am glad to hear the article mentions the search for a new center is in the works. However, if there's going to be a fight to keep Serra open, let me know. I'm in.



2 comments:

Columbus Neon said...

I can't believe a city the size of San Francisco only has 3 bowling centers? I guess there's just more to do out there. Sad.

Anonymous said...

The entire community is invited to Serra Bowl on Saturday, March 10, 2012 from noon to 3pm, in an effort to protest the proposed closing. Please come and show your support by peacefully gathering in our parking lot with as many people you can bring. We hope to see everyone who has ever bowled in our establishment or participated in "Kops & Kids Day", "Turkeybowl", "Fun Day", Junior, Senior or Adult bowling leagues! Let's all show the land owner how many people closing the Bowling Center will affect. Thank you all for caring.