Friday, May 25, 2012

Galbi - Korean short ribs


In the United States, the Memorial Day holiday weekend is our launch to summer.  My favorite ritual for this holiday, Fourth of July and Labor Day is the cookout.  Corn on the cob, potato/macaroni salad, hot dogs, hamburgers and a tradition among my friends, galbi, or more commonly known as, Korean short ribs.  The primary ingredients in the marinade are soy sauce, garlic and sugar.

Our love of galbi began with my friend Pauline and her former husband.  Because I live in San Francisco proper and close to numerous, inexpensive Korean markets, they asked me to pick up galbi for a cookout at their house.  Clueless and confused, I headed to First Korean Market at 4625 Geary Blvd (between 10th and 11th Avenue) in the Inner Richmond.  My August, 2008 review can be found on Yelp.

When I realized I didn't have to speak Korean to get what I needed, this market became the go to place anytime an event with a grill takes place.  As I mentioned on Yelp, "I've brought the short ribs to work pot lucks and softball cookouts.  They're always a huge hit and get asked where these can be bought."  Other Korean markets and restaurants offer them, but First Korean consistently offers the largest quantities and leanest cuts for a reasonable price.

The above picture shows exactly how I like my ribs cooked, medium well with a bit of singe on the edge of the meat.  Once they're off the grill, forget all civilities with a fork and knife.  Grab 'em with fingers and eat them like regular ribs.  If you plan to make a trip, there's other meat and food worth getting.  And save some galbi for me to pick up for my posse.

No comments: