Tuesday, January 08, 2013

All Split Up


Anyone who's ever bowled has probably seen this diagram on a score terminal or somewhere on the lanes. If a strike hasn't been bowled, the remaining pin(s) is referred to by number, such as the 7-10 split seen here:


image source: Augusta Chronicle

Just as nasty and undesirable is what's called the Big 4 (4-6-7-10 split)


Here is an example of a split with a great name, the Greek Church (4-6-7-8-10 shown below, or 4-6-7-9-10 split):


And, the Sour Apple (5-7-10 split), while not seen often, looks like this :


Of these splits, I once converted the Greek Church 3 1/2 years ago in summer league. Baby splits, such as the 3-10 and 2-7 are much more common and not as difficult to convert.

Last night, a league bowler told me he'd rather get a gutter ball than get the 2-4-10 split I bowled. For me, while I hate splits, I hate gutter balls even more. I'd rather take on the challenge to pick it up. In most cases, I won't be successful, but sometimes I am. At least I gave it a shot.

No comments: