Sunday, September 28, 2014

Priced to Move - Everything Must Go

If you've clicked this blog entry in hopes to find the latest and greatest clearance sale, you're out of luck. It's all gone.

For the first time by myself, I hosted a moving/garage sale. Compared to most garage/moving sales, I had a rather sparse selection. One could call it a 'quality over quantity' kind of sale.

I began the sale around 10 am. A portable heater and a small folding table that doubled as a desk in the second bedroom kicked off the first items sold.

By 3:30 pm, everything I had put out was gone, including a wardrobe everyone seemed to like except me. Probably because it was the biggest reminder of the Kiwi ex-boyfriend.

During the 5 1/2 hours of the sale, I got to meet to some very interesting people:

  • Katie and her grandmother. Katie was moving into a place 3 blocks away. She took my library chair/stepstool, bookcase and table runner. 
  • Wayne and his mom. Wayne grew up in the Sunset and now lives in Daly City. He spends Saturdays with his mom and garage sales is one of the activities his mom enjoys. Wayne's mom got a kick out of the very little Cantonese I knew. They ended up taking a suitcase, 2 backpacks, a lounge chair pad, a fan, a comforter, 2 bed pillows, 4 accent pillows. 
  • Ruby, a friend of a friend. My friend/ex-co worker Sherri told her about the sale. Ruby texted Sherri to ask if she wanted anything. Sherri asked if I had any knives. Ruby bought the wine glasses and got for Sherri a Wusthof knife set.
  • Jose Sr. and Jose Jr. The father-son painters were the last visit and officially closed business for the day. They took the CD boom box, dishes, side tables, corner nightstand, and most importantly, the bed and 2 wardrobes. They were so appreciative they bought me takeout from the corner Chinese restaurant when they had to clear the truck bed of the first round of items they got. 

I credit my success of clearing everything because I was intent on selling, not haggling. The most I got from a single item was $10. The money made was enough to hold off a weekend ATM visit. Mission: Everything Must Go, accomplished.

No comments: