Sunday, January 11, 2015

Subjective Women's Sizing

Top: Leader Jacket, size L, Bottom: Ice Jacket, size XL

I'll be perfectly blunt. I am a huge sucker for San Francisco Giants clothing.

Especially when the Giants win a World Series. My wallet got even busier when the Giants won their third World Series in five years.

To add to that, less rent to pay at my new place and return to full-time work at nearly the same salary as my last job made me an extra large Tootsie Pop.

I am, however, infuriated that I had to return online clothing 3 times because of inconsistent sizing for many of their women's T-shirts and jackets. In my opinion, most women's clothing at the MLB store are designed as Edna E. Mode would put it, "poofy stick things".

I haven't ever been a poofy stick thing.

The best example: the leader jacket at the top of the photo was bought in person at the Giants Dugout Store in a size large. Because this size fit well, I figured it'd be a no-brainer to order online from the MLB Store the Ice Jacket (for the 3-time World Series Champions logo) in the same size and clothing manufacturer, Antigua.

It didn't turn out that way. The arms and jacket length fit OK, but the chest was snug. I could zip it all the way up but felt any sudden moves would have resulted in a broken zipper or ripped seam. I returned the Ice Jacket and reordered it in a size Extra Large. It turned out to be a much better fit.

I've been fortunate my clothing size since high school has been, give or take 1-2 sizes, the same. But it's subjective sizing like this that fuels the inferiority complex American women have had about their body image for many years.

No comments: