Sunday, August 21, 2016

Tragically Hip Farewell Tour

source: cbc.ca
L to R: Rob Baker, Paul Langlois, Gord Downie, Johnny Fay, Gord Sinclair
As I updated on August 10 from my June 17, 2012 entry, Tragically Hip lead singer Gord Downie was diagnosed with terminal brain cancer (glioblastoma) in May. Their 'Man Machine Poem' summer tour will be their last. The finale took place last night from their hometown in Kingston, Ontario. CBC aired the concert commercial free. Among those who attended was Downie's oncologist, Dr. James Perry, and Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.

I'll close with a couple of fan favorites.

From "Courage (for Hugh MacLennan)",
Courage, my word, it didn't come, it doesn't matter,
Courage, your word, it didn't come, it doesn't matter
Courage, my word, it didn't come, it doesn't matter
Courage, it couldn't come at a worse time...
(Written by Gordon Downie, Johnny Fay, Joseph Paul Langlois, Robert Baker, Robert Gordon Sinclair)


And, their most popular song, "Ahead By A Century" and one of my all-time favorites:
...Or sit silently and listen to our thoughts
With illusions of someday casting a golden light
No dress rehearsal, this is our life...



Take a listen to this version from Newcastle Public School in Newcastle, Ontario:
Had me in tears.


No comments: