Sunday, September 16, 2018

San Francisco USBC Board Member

source: SFUSBC
On my way to Wednesday night league last summer, I was unloading my bowling equipment from my car when the current president of San Francisco's USBC approached me.

She told me my comments at a previous meeting open to league bowlers impressed her. She asked if I'd be interested in becoming a board member.

Surprised, honored and flattered I accepted. Due to a schedule conflict, I didn't become a board member right away. Meetings were taking place Wednesday nights, the same nights I bowl league.

This past November that changed. Meetings were moved to Sunday mornings. Perfect day and time as I'm already at the center for practice every week. Our most recent board meeting took place this morning.

In my capacity as a San Francisco USBC board member, some duties include:

  • Lane inspection/certification
  • Fund raisers 
  • Local tournaments
  • Management of sanctioned leagues at Classic (Daly City), Sea (Pacifica), Brentwood (South San Francisco), and Presidio (San Francisco).
As the 2018-19 season has officially started, I attended 3 league meetings last week (including my own) to introduce myself and briefly describe San Francisco USBC's role and upcoming events.

Being a board member requires time, dedication, and passion combined with a strong grasp of diplomacy. Not all that different than a full-time job. I find both roles very fulfilling and hope that I'll continue in both roles for a long time.

No comments: