Thursday, August 17, 2006

Fancy schmancy


About 3 weeks ago, I made a trip to Bed, Bath, and Beyond to buy a few basics for our new bathroom. This would be our first night spent in our new home and want to make sure our first showers would be furnished with shiny new supplies.
One of them was a shower caddy.

I spent at least 15 minutes looking at shower caddies. I bought the largest, prettiest caddy I could find with special slots that hold shampoo bottles upside down. I got it home and tried to put it up. Couldn't get one of the two suction cups to stick to the tile. I e-mailed the manufacturer, explained my plight, and 2 days later, got a nice e-mail saying they would send out replacement suction cups.

It took nearly 2 weeks to get the suction cups because they sent them via UPS. I ended up re-routing online the package to be sent to my work address. I got the package the next day. When I got home, I pulled out the first of 3 sets of replacement suction cups. The first one, like the previous one, wouldn’t stick to the tile (arggggh!)

Then I managed to find a way to get the suction cups to stick. I pushed in the suction cups against the tile, sans shower caddy. Ah ha! I got the cheapest but critical pieces to stay stuck to the tile! Ego now enormously inflated, I attached the caddy to the suction cups. I now have the stainless steel monstrosity firmly in place against the tile wall.

Finally! Or so I thought. I pulled one of the shampoo bottles from the end of the tub and tried to put it on the lower shelf. I couldn’t get the bottle to stand upright on the shelf. I then moved the bottle to the top shelf, but it couldn’t stand it upright there either because it hit the shower head (not as depicted in photo).

The caddy is now in a plastic bag in the hallway. I plan to exchange it for another caddy tomorrow at the Bed, Bath, and Beyond near work. This time, I’ll only consider caddies with a lot of clearance space for tall shampoo bottles.

image courtesy of Bed, Bath and Beyond

No comments: