Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Girlfight vs. Million Dollar Baby



Over the weekend with nothing of interest showing on cable, I perused my cable provider's On Demand catalog and saw for the first time, "Girlfight" (2000), starring Michelle Rodriguez.  This was her film debut and probably still her best known role to date.

The film's focus is on Diana Guzman (Michelle Rodriguez), a troubled teen who trains to be a boxer, despite the misgivings of her father and trainers at the boxing gym.  The plot line is very similar to 2004's "Million Dollar Baby", starring Clint Eastwood, Hilary Swank and Morgan Freeman.

As an avid film goer and sports fan/participant in multiple sports, it's no wonder I'm attracted to films depicting the fragility of the human condition.  Even more so when the protagonist is female.

If you've seen and liked "Million Dollar Baby" but haven't seen "Girlfight", I recommend it. "Girlfight" may not have won 4 Academy Awards, but I find a lot more of Diana Guzman in me than I do Maggie Fitzgerald.

No comments: