Sunday, April 08, 2018

Oakland to Columbus - Nonstop

Southwest Airlines
Nonstop Oakland to Columbus
My last trip to my birthplace, Columbus, Ohio was in August 2013, when I flew back for my 35th high school reunion.

That was 5 years ago. I was able to get a non-stop on Delta from San Francisco to Cincinnati, rent a car and drive the 110-120 miles to Columbus.

If there's any opportunity to fly non-stop, I'll take it. Even if it costs me $100 more. I've been stranded and delayed more times than I can remember when I have to take a connecting flight.

It amazes me with how much we've gained in technology and I still can't fly directly to Columbus, Ohio. The state's capital city. A metro population of more than 1 million. The city The Ohio State University calls home.

When they announced our 40th high school reunion a few weeks ago, I was prepared to fly directly to Cincinnati again. Prices were higher than I hoped, so I was going to wait a few more weeks to see if the prices would come down.

Frustrated with less than ideal options on flight times and cities where I'd have to stop, I did a Google search with the hope there is now an airline carrier that does offer non-stop from the San Francisco Bay Area to Columbus.

Success. My search results found a 2015 press release from Southwest Airlines announcing a non-stop service from Oakland to Columbus. Woo hoo to the max.

I signed into my Southwest account right away and booked the flights tonight. The cost isn't cheap, but about $100 less than Delta, and only 4.5 to 5 hours flight time. A flight from San Francisco with a stop in Phoenix would add 3-4 more hours in travel time.

Hello, Columbus. See you in September.

No comments: