Sunday, July 21, 2019

The Farewell: Based On An Actual Lie

source: Deadline
clockwise: Tzi Ma, Lulu Wang, Awkwafina, Diana Lin
I first saw the trailer for The Farewell movie about 2 months ago. I knew immediately that this would be on my must-see list.

Farewell premiered in New York and Los Angeles in limited release last week. This weekend, it was in San Francisco. I bought my tickets online on Friday to see Saturday's first showing at Landmark's Embarcadero Center Cinema.

Extra tissues stored in purse, I ended up not using as many as I thought I would. Not to say that won't happen when I see it again.

For me, it didn't pack the emotional wallop that Crazy Rich Asians or Joy Luck Club. But it doesn't mean it had any less impact on me. It depicted Americanized/American born children of Chinese immigrant families in a very realistic, funny and poignant way.

If you're an American born child of Chinese parents, you absolutely, positively must see the movie.
Here's the trailer:

No comments: