Sunday, October 20, 2019

DIY Weekend

source: Amazon
Skil Compact Cordless Screwdriver
From the time I returned to the single world in 2011, I'm slowly but surely gathering household tools to help me tackle DIY projects that previously would have intimidated the crap out of me.

Like my rant about the lack of women's choices in bowling shoes, I can say the same about suitable tools for women.

Choices are out there, but it takes some digging. As a former history major/current operations and finance analyst, this is well within my skill set.

Started out with a Stanley hammer and a 5-in-1 screwdriver with a donated tool box from Pauline. The most basic of house tools. During my time as an account manager on Lubricant account visits, I bought a tape measure and goggles (I somehow now have 3).

First power tool, a compact cordless screwdriver by Skil (see 1st photo). I bought it to assemble a platform bed for the spare room I rented out a few times in the Outer Sunset.

source: Amazon
3-step ladder with tray
Next, 3-step ladder. Bought this a few months ago. After Wil moved to Florida with Jen, all I had was a folding step stool. Knew there'd be ceiling lights I'd have to change and replace. Came in handy for changing smoke alarm batteries at 2 am. Equally useful for yesterday's DIY project for hanging curtain rods.

The curtain brackets that came with the rods did not require drilling. It came with nails to hammer directly in the wall. Easy concept. Not so easy to implement. I found it hard to pound the nail fully flush to the wall with the 16 inch Stanley hammer.

With one more curtain rod not yet installed, I began a search for hammers with short handles. I see several "stubby" hammers from Craftsman, Pittsburgh, Stalwart, and the brand that really catches my eye,
Apollo Tools.

source: Apollo Tools
4 piece Stubby Set
Click the link to see the vast selection of tools they offer. Most of the tools are made with soft grip handles.

Another great reason to support Apollo Tools is a portion of their sales is contributed to breast cancer research (many tools come in pink).

I originally intended only to look for the hammer, but when I saw the soft grip stubby wrench and screwdrivers, I had to have them all.

More tools. For an already stuffed tool box. Time for a bigger one.

I ordered that from Home Depot tonight.
My Stanley hammer, Stanley tape measure, Dewalt goggles, picture frame nails, glue, sanding block, 5-in-1 screwdriver and soon-to-be stubby tools will all share the same home.

I suspect the stubby ones will be out often, to the point they'll need to be put on curfew.

No comments: