Sunday, April 12, 2020

NPR's Tiny Desk Concerts - Taylor Swift

source: Variety
Taylor Swift, NPR Tiny Desk Concert
October 28, 2019
As we go into our second month of shelter-in-place, I've grown weary of what's been offered on cable TV, Netflix, and Amazon Prime.

I've resorted to watching YouTube music videos. A lot of them.

Repeatedly. 

I don't have the attention span to binge watch "must see TV" yet I can watch David Byrne's February 29, 2020 appearance on Saturday Night Live with his American Utopia group sing "Once In A Lifetime" 6 times in a row. And watch it again a week later. The same for George Michael's "Freedom '90" MTV Unplugged performance.

But that's what music does. Especially live, in an intimate setting. Real vocals that soar with emotion.

Yesterday, I found an NPR Tiny Desk Concert from October 28, 2019 featuring megastar singer-songwriter Taylor Swift. And after seeing her performance, I have gained tremendous respect for her. I will never ever refer to her a singer without including songwriter.

It was Taylor and 2 instruments, an acoustic guitar and piano. Nothing else.
We need to see more performances like this.

For Taylor's 4 song set list on Tiny Desk:

  1. The Man
  2. Lover
  3. Death by a Thousand Cuts
  4. All Too Well

The last one, All Too Well, totally gutted me. I have since played that song 5 times in the past 48 hours. 

if you find her Grammy performance of "All Too Well", don't bother. 
It's The Tiny Desk performance that you have to see.

No comments: