Sunday, March 08, 2020

Recap February 14, 2020 to March 8, 2020

Why I was MIA for the past month:

February 14 -18: President's Day Weekend in Napa to celebrate Sherman's and Kat's 5th Wedding Anniversary.

Private tour, Inglenook, Rutherford CA

Kat's family came in Thursday afternoon before the holiday. They stayed with me for the night before we headed to Napa. 

When we got to Napa, 26 people came in from 3 states: New York, Ohio and California. The majority of the guests stayed in the former 9-bedroom private residence of the winery owner (No Airbnb here).

It was hectic and chill at the same time, if that makes any sense. Our first night at dinner kicked off with a formal family photo session, then a lovely dinner and moving speech from Sherman that brought me to tears. We had so much fun that we'll likely be there again to celebrate Sherman's 60th birthday next year.

As soon as Sherman and Kat texted me they made it back home to New York, they told me they would begin plans for my 60th birthday. We decided to celebrate in Columbus. I'll fly out to Cleveland to meet everyone and visit Mom's sisters for the day. Drive to Columbus for the rest of the trip. Activities will likely include a visit to the zoo, perhaps some bowling, a cookout at Cindy's, and the birthday dinner.

February 22 - 23: Asian American Bowling Association Chinese (Lunar) New Year Bowling Tournament at 4th Street Bowl, San Jose.


Bowled 3 squads. Last squad on Saturday, 2 squads on Sunday. Best series was my Saturday squad (see photo). Overall, I didn't do too badly. But likely not enough to cash out this year.

It was on my drive home from San Jose that my tire pressure monitor warning light came on again for the third time in two weeks, the last two in the same day.

I have at minimum, a tire leak. When I last brought my car in for service, the adviser mentioned I'd likely need new tires on my next visit. 

Realized the tires were almost 3 years old. I likely hastened their demise because I didn't rotate them regularly as the warranty requires. Time to order replacements. Ordered another set of Michelins online at Costco. Because it wasn't safe to drive with a flat tire, I decided to arrange for a rental car. Two days later, I hailed 2 Lyft rides - one to get to work, the other to pick up the rental. 

February 29 - March 1: Overtime Saturday.
In the 6 years I've been with this company, I've never worked on a Saturday. Overtime was always discouraged, even if there was a ton of work to do. When my boss gave us the option to work that Saturday, I jumped on it. Not so much because I'd have a fatter paycheck. Mostly because I'd be less buried in work on Monday.

March 7 - 8: Tire installation day. 9 am appointment with a 12 pm deadline to return the rental. I was the first customer taken with an appointment. Saw the car put into the bay at 9:18 am. Got some shopping in. Car was finished by 10:45 am. Drove home. Jumped immediately in the rental to return it. Made it by 11:15. Hailed an Uber ride (use my $15 monthly AmEx credit). Got home shortly after 12 pm.

Big sigh of relief. I sat in the recliner aimlessly surfing on this laptop for 2.5 hours. Then spent the rest of the day doing laundry, stuffing my face and watching TV.

After a call this afternoon from my boss, I am instructed to work from home tomorrow. I get a little extra sleep to catch up from the daylight savings time change, but I'll be somewhat limited in what I can do. 

No comments: